Sunday, August 21, 2011

Randomness of the Weekend

We were at Ross and Aaron saw this little outfit, it was like $5, I couldn't pass it up. So we bought it, came home and dressed our little Burrows.
He hated it at first he just laid on his back with his arms up in the air. He was under the impression that he couldn't move. It was pretty funny. He finally got used to it. I must say it is so freaking cute on him.
He is our little lion.
Photobucket
I love his little chubby arms
************************************************************************
So I have been feeling a little under the weather and we don't have a heating pad and one was much needed this weekend. So I decided to wipe the dust off of my sewing machine and to just make one of my own. It was  super easy and way super cheap.
Heating Pad Tutorial
Things needed
  • Fabric {your choice} 1/2-1 yard
  • non-cooked white rice 2 bags
  • sewing machine of course :)
  • Optional. . . Lavender oil
I started off with cutting 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 inch squares. You don't have to do squares you can just do one solid print.
If just one solid color, {depending on how big you want your heating pad} cut a 12 x 12 inch piece of fabric. You will need 2 squares of fabric, one for the front and one for the back.
Photobucket
Once squares are cut and sewn together. Sew front and back together,
{pattern sides together facing, so back side of fabric facing out.}
Make sure you leave a 2 inch opening to turn the fabric right side out.
Note: If any extra fabric on the outside edges cut them off before turning right side out
Photobucket
I bought two bags of long grain white rice at the dollar store {love that store}
Note: You will will need more/less rice depending on how big the heating pad you want is.
I added Lavender oil to the rice, to give it that relaxing and calming effect.
You only need like 5 drops {a little goes a long way}
Note: I used a little sandwich bag because I didn't have any large gallon bags so I had to do like 5 little bags full and I added Lavender oil to each bag If you use a large gallon bag then you probably could do all of the rice with like 10-12 drops of Lavender oil.
Photobucket
Once rice and oil were in the plastic bag, we shook it to mix the oil all around
Photobucket
I funneled the rice into the little opening. Now this is where it gets tricky, now we have to close the opening. So make sure you don't fill the pouch super full of rice. Very carefully sew the opening. 
You could use fabric glue or hot glue if you don't want to sew it, but I don't know how long it would hold.
Photobucket
Here is the pad all sewn up. It was harder than I thought, I think it was because I added to much rice and I used a zig-zag stitch which didn't make it easy to see where I had to stop and start. I should of used a straight stitch.
Photobucket
Once it is all done then put it in the microwave for about 3 min and enjoy.
You can put it anywhere, the Lavender makes it that much more relaxing
Photobucket
Getting ready for the work week to start, we have alot of "remodeling" that we are doing. Not sure how much you can do in a little apartment but we are doing the max
We love getting camera happy every once in a while.
Photobucket

Photobucket
{Happy Work Week}

3 comments:

Kara and Cody Markham said...

SO CUTE!! I want to make one now

Mindy Thomas said...

Oh my Burrows you look adorable in your little shirt! That is too cute! I love your heating pad very cute fabric. I want to make a couple that match our living room. Good idea.
I hope your feeling better!

Ryan, Alyse, Paetyn and Ashton said...

So cute Burrows ah I cant wait to see him! Love the heating pad turned out way cute:) Cant wait to see you NERDS... Love ya

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...